HARRISON’S SOLICITORS – COVID-19 STATEMENT
Position – Conveyancing Fee Earner.
Salary range – £25k-£40k dependent on skills and experience.
Due to continued expansion, this is an exciting opportunity to join a successful local law practice as a Conveyancing Fee Earner.
Harrison’s Solicitors have three branches in Central Reading, Caversham and Woodley. We have been established since 2003, with a strong reputation for friendly, clear and sound advice. The firm offers a wide range of legal services for individuals, families and family, many with fixed fees and all at good value for money rates. The firm has a busy and well established private client department dealing with residential
We are looking for a qualified and experienced Conveyancer/Solicitor to work in our Reading and Caversham offices within our Conveyancing Department. This role has a potential for those looking for career development.
As a competent and confident fee earner you will be comfortable with managing a busy caseload in a fast-paced department. Adept in all types of domestic conveyancing matters, including freehold, leasehold, new build, registered and unregistered, you will be familiar with case management systems and have excellent IT literacy, with only the need for basic administrative support. The successful candidate will be an excellent team player, with the ability to work independently and oversee the running of the office in the absence of the Partner. Exceptional communication skills, both oral and written, are a must as the role will involve being the primary contact for all third-party communication with other solicitors, estate agents, local developers and clients. You will be equally skilled in managing communications over the telephone/in writing as you are in attending to clients in the office. Your proven ability to remain clam under pressure will be complemented by your excellent negotiation skills and can-do attitude which will ensure client transactions run smoothly and any potential issues are identified and overcome swiftly.
We are committed to eliminating discrimination and to promoting equality and diversity throughout. This position will support the equality, diversity and rights of clients and colleagues; adhering to the company equal opportunity recruitment policy which is open, clear and simple. We will recruit the best person for the role regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race (including ethnic or national origin, colour and nationality, religion or belief, sex (gender) or sexual orientation:
The day to day work of the role will include the following elements/tasks in a typical conveyancing transaction:
- Acting in a way that recognises the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with Practice procedures and policies and current legislation;
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of clients and colleagues;
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings, priorities and rights.
This Job Description and Person Specification relates to the post of Conveyancing Solicitor. The post holder will provide supervision for the conveyancing case workers and run their own files.
Title: Conveyancing Fee Earner
- Providing initial quotations;
- Setting up files;
- Dealing with clients, agents, solicitors on the phone, by email and in person;
- Preparing and sending out draft contract papers;
- Raising enquiries and submitting searches on purchases;
- Attending clients for signing;
- Preparing reports on purchases;
- Exchanging contracts and all paperwork involved;
- Preparing completion paperwork on transactions;
- Dealing with post completion leasehold paperwork, including notices ;
- Running your own case load consisting of buying, selling and re-mortgaging domestic properties and equity release;
- Meeting clients and taking detailed instructions;
- Answering sales and purchase enquiries, giving basic, clear advice on all aspects of conveyancing;
- Maintaining client confidentiality at all times;
- Opening and maintaining neat files in accordance with office procedures;
- Confirming instructions and advice to clients in writing;
- Conducting negotiations with other parties;
- Managing your case load to ensure that cases are progressed, closed and billed as appropriate;
- Referring matters to other practitioners within the firm as appropriate;
- Undertaking training and developing;
- Ensuring that all time spent is recorded;
- Knowledge to deal with land registry applications to register, stamp duty submissions and land registry requisitions;
- Some experience of private client wills and probate would be advantageous but is not essential as training will be provided for the right candidate;
- You will be smart and well-presented;
- You will have good social skills with a clear communication style both orally (in person and on the telephone) and in writing;
- You will have experience in dealing with members of the public face-to-face;
- You will be IT literate and, after training, be able to operate a computer-based case management system;
- You will have excellent word processing skills;
- You will recognise your own limitations and be aware of when it is necessary for you to seek help or further advice;
- You will be able to work under pressure as part of a small team;
- You will be sensitive to cultural issues in a diverse community;
- You will be hardworking, reliable and punctual;
- You will be willing to give and receive help to and from other members of staff as needed;
- You will be able to work on your own initiative;
- You will have good organisational skills.
In return you will be joining a busy, friendly office and receive:
- 35 hour working week
- 4 weeks annual leave + bank holidays + Christmas shut down
- Support in personal goals and career development
- Employee pension scheme
- Generous bonus scheme
Please forward your CV and covering letter to David Woodward David@harrisonssolicitors.com